While this is not a ‘goodbye’, the time has come for me to leave Ra Ra Riot.
Thank you for the wonderful 6 years— so many beautiful places visited, with incredible fans & close friends made along the way. I will carry on what I have learned from each and every one of you in future endeavors, whether it be music, becoming a pilot, or the next Iron Chef.
Playing music with Rebecca, Milo, Wes, Mathieu, John, Kenny, Gabriel, and Cameron has provided some very special opportunities in my life, alongside all the talented and amazing bands that have shared the stage with us throughout. I have learned so much from all of you, and most importantly, you have have taught me to strive every day to be a better musician and songwriter.
A few nights ago I happened upon some early videos of us playing live; back from when we were a newborn of a band. I began to reminisce about the early days and temporarily got sucked into a black hole of nostalgia. Seeing the early footage was a glowing reminder of how far we’ve come, and how much we’ve changed—as a band, and as people.
Back when we first started, the thrill of being allowed to play was enough to keep us going. We functioned week-to-week and were playing every show as if it might have been our final, trying to make the most of it all while it lasted.
Our first priority (and ultimately the reason why we started the band in the first place) was simply “to have fun.” This objective acted as a mission statement in the early days. It was our pole star as we navigated our course into our unknown future. It was a fundamental goal that provided a guide for our decision-making process.
When we first formed, none of us could have guessed that we’d still be a band six years and however many hundreds of shows later. Since then we’ve been through a lot together. We’ve seen the world. We’ve learned about ourselves. We’ve learned about each other. We’ve made a lot of memories that will last a lifetime. And we’ve shared experiences that cover the extreme ends of the human emotional spectrum. Life. Love. Death. Sometimes it’s difficult to keep these things in perspective. We are not the same band that we were six years ago, for we are not the same people. These sorts of changes are only natural of course. They are the result of living life. It would be counterproductive to try to deny change to ourselves or to the band. Nothing lasts forever after all… as they say, with every end is a new beginning.
Allie’s decision to leave the band reflects a true sense of self-awareness and is a testament to her continuous quest for contentment. Taking active control over your destiny is a sign of strength, and I am happy for Allie that she is pursuing whatever it is that she is looking for.
It was by chance that Allie and I ended up in a band making music together. Unknowingly at the time, we’d come to effectively alter the course of each other’s lives in countless ways. I feel very fortunate that we got to play music together in the first place and I consider myself lucky that we have spent the better part of the last six years doing so. For that, I am grateful.
-Milo & Ra Ra Riot
- hipstersaur reblogged this from rarariot
- hipstersaur likes this
- guardianangela likes this
- freakout-freakout likes this
- recyclablewords likes this
- steamedbeetle likes this
- mangopassionfunkoolaid likes this
- thejonasalways likes this
- kailyndavillier reblogged this from rarariot
- kailyndavillier likes this
- jmkl likes this
- heystaceeeyyy reblogged this from rarariot and added:
- mrdavidsalgado likes this
- lhomme-run reblogged this from rarariot
- invisiblur likes this
- le-ouistiti-est-dans-la-place reblogged this from rarariot
- samanthaedillor reblogged this from rarariot
- bloodonthemotorway likes this
- eleganceoftoday reblogged this from rarariot
- luxstellum likes this
- bloctrl likes this
- neuromanticism likes this
- kickflipcancersticks reblogged this from rarariot
- unexpectedradiance reblogged this from rarariot and added:
- yourfriendthebandit reblogged this from abovegroundurbandecay
- abovegroundurbandecay reblogged this from rarariot
- call-me-ishmael reblogged this from rarariot
- straightchildish reblogged this from rarariot and added:
- maricoji likes this
- ohmygohan likes this
- vonauken likes this
- afashionfrenzie reblogged this from rarariot
- smorescake reblogged this from rarariot and added:
- sleepscape reblogged this from rarariot
- mal-poli likes this
- myscatteredselves reblogged this from rarariot and added:
- elluisloco reblogged this from rarariot
- whenyouseemyeyez likes this
- cyclecuse reblogged this from rarariot and added:
- dontyouloveourwesternways reblogged this from harmoniousriot
- hotmuffinsex reblogged this from rarariot and added:
- cjal likes this
- lifewhatareyoudoingtome reblogged this from caul-fieldd
- galanty reblogged this from rarariot and added:
- caul-fieldd reblogged this from creepzsz
- creepzsz reblogged this from rarariot
- creepzsz likes this
- websilks likes this
- bohemiaisnotdead reblogged this from rarariot and added:
- bohemiaisnotdead likes this